Thursday, June 29, 2006

Snap.

Sometimes, every once in awhile, little things happen that remind you just how good your life is, even when things seem a little rough.

Tonight Papa, Beans, M and I drove to Rolla for Aunt Sharon's funeral. My heart broke for Uncle Bill, because I could see his heartbreak in his eyes. He and Aunt Sharon have been married for 44 years. 44 years. Wow. I haven't even been alive that long. Steffi called and I told her, "They've been married 44 years. I can't imagine how he's feeling right now." And Stef replied, "Yeah, but think of how cool it is that they got 44 years together." Snap. Just like that, my mindset changed. Even though I still felt sadness and anguish for Uncle Bill, I also knew how incredibly lucky he's been to spend 44 years with his love. Some people never find the love of their life, and he not only found her, he got 44 years with her.

While visiting with everyone, Aunt Theresa mentioned that she was sending Pheobe out to buy a disposable camera to get a photo of the siblings. I said, "Don't do that! I have my digital right here!" We rounded them all up: Bill, Jim, Papa, Mary Ann, Theresa and Tony and took them outside. Found a nice background, lined them up, and made a few images. Snap. Literally and figuratively. There were the brothers and sisters, normally scattered all about, pulled together in a time of crisis when one of them needed support. You could almost see the love radiating between them, and you could definitely feel it. We agreed that Grandma was looking down from heaven, clapping her hands in delight that they were all together, even though it was under tragic circumstances.

Beano checked in regularly with Shawn on Mom's status, as she underwent back surgery today and he was her personal driver and Gran's companion for most of the day. The surgery center ended up keeping Mom overnight, which I tend to think is for the best. At one point, when Shawn was going back to pick up Gran and take her home for the evening, he told Katie, "I'm gonna see what's up...maybe they'll release her and she can go home tonight. It's really expensive there. If she needs fluids, I can push fluids!" (Shawn is an EMT, so he really can push fluids, whatever "pushing fluids" means.) Snap. Right there, it hit me. That was my future brother-in-law, stepping in when needed, no questions asked, no griping, taking care of my mother (and, in turn, taking care of my sister), worrying about her having to pay too much and offering to personally care for her. How wonderful is it that Beano and Shawn found each other?! They are like two peas in a pod, and I'm so, so thankful that they have each other and are getting married in February. (Thank you, Shawn, for everything you did today. You went above and beyond the call of duty and I love you for it!)

We went to see Mom after getting back in town around 10:30 p.m. She's in a lovely new surgery center, and the two evening nurses were just wonderful. We had to call to find the place (did you realize the Junior League is no longer where the Junior League was? Or if they are still there, that part of their building is now the Frontenac Surgery Center? Yeah, neither did we.), and the nurse who spoke with M and gave him specific directions actually met us at the door. The other one got us each a big cup of ice water. Snap. I left knowing that my mom was in extremely capable and caring hands tonight.

Zozo is spending the night at her Grandma Z's tonight, as we got back so late and didn't want to keep Grandma up waiting for us or disturb Zo's slumber. Thank you to Grandma for watching her all night for us, so we could be with Papa and the rest of our family.

So, it's been a long day, and night. M is already sound asleep, and I'm ready for bed, too. Wanted to post something tonight, though, because I know if I don't I'll get a call from Beano at 8 a.m. when she gets Mom home, "When are you updating your blog?" Yeah, sometimes I'd like to snap her! That's what sisters are for, eh? Love you Beano! Bing Bong!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home