Friday, April 10, 2009

Morning light, rock wall and flowers

For about a week now, I've been gawking at this rock wall every morning when I'm taking Zozer to school, and again every afternoon when I'm picking her up. I've studied it, looking for the best light. Definitely morning, as it faces east and is too shadowed in the afternoon. Finally, Wednesday morning, I remembered to take the camera with me. After Zoe was signed in at school and happily playing with her friend Carlita, I drove to a side street near the wall, parked, and walked back to make some images.

I didn't originally envision this in a square format, but after playing around with the image a bit I decided that this is really the only way it works.

I went through a square-format phase awhile back, just trying out different ways to look at things. It was interesting, but it eventually wore off and I went back to my usual patternless random cropping as I saw fit. Kinda forgot about the rigidity (and, in a weird way, freedom) imposed by the square until this, when, playing around with the crop tool in Photoshop, it just fit. I like to be square sometimes.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF did you just say? :-)

1:08 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Who the hell knows. Except maybe other photographers!

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Ping said...

I love, love, love this photo. Seriously. It's almost enough to make me take up photography with my little Nikon CoolPix...except why should I when my very own Ping is so muy bien with the photo thing.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home