Friday, November 21, 2008

All together now, "Awwwww!"

So as I was not drifting to sleep last night (I seem to be battling insomnia again these days), I was thinking about the blog and what I've posted lately, and I've decided I've become one of the most boring bloggers on the planet, due mainly to our having started grad school.

Like, really, how many times do ya'all need to hear how much time we're spending on studying and tests and things. Bo-ring. Like watching paint dry. Over and over again.

So, I'm going to try to do better. Because I don't want to be boring, or bore anyone, least of all, myself. And that's what I'm doing.

After having resolved to be less boring and not post so much about grad school, the inevitable question popped out of my brain and floated aimlessly in the dark above me.

"So, what exactly are you going to post?"

Since I've started this, I've mainly been posting on the goings on of my life, and that of my family's. We're usually pretty fun, sociable people. Grad school, though, is apparently designed to suck all the good parts of life out of students, which happens to be doubly so when both spouses are studying. However, I've realized that it's also sucking the life out of what used to be a very lively blog.

Here's my first attempt at posting something unrelated to school.

At Michelle and Ryan's wedding this past weekend, we all waited with baited breath to hear what Michelle's dad, Jim, was going to say. This is a man known for his one-liners and hilarious stories. He's direct, blunt, and fabulous, mostly because, above all, he's genuine. He asks the questions everyone wants to ask but doesn't have the guts to. I once walked into a room filled with family members who were all chatting, and was greeted by Jim with, "Well, here she is. Let's just ask her. Aim, are you gonna have any more babies?" Love that. Jim's also the guy who readily admits that he doesn't really enjoy attending mass, but goes "just in case it counts." He's got a spot in heaven not just because the scorecard proves he's been to church every Sunday, but also just to keep everyone there in stitches. (I firmly believe that God has a great sense of humor. Just look at the platypus, for Pete's sake.)

We've all known for quite some time that Jim was probably going to have a hard time giving away his darling daughter, but that he'd handle it with typical aplomb and humor. True to form, his toast was filled with fun and heartfelt wishes for the new couple. But what got me was a story he related later during the reception, when he was going from table to table to visit all the guests. He told me this:

"As Michelle and I got halfway down the aisle, all these images of her growing up were flashing through my mind. Memories and moments from her childhood. I was overwhelmed with feeling, and all I could do was look at her right there, in the middle of the aisle, and say, 'Thank you.'"

I bawled my eyes out. In fact, typing this right now, I want to bawl my eyes out. I won't though, because I'm at work and I already look ridiculous because I'm sitting at my desk with a shower cap on my head and a hair cape clipped around my neck (a color touch-up...don't ask). Crying would only compound the image.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that story because I think it's really special, and probably perfectly captures what most fathers feel when they walk their daughters down the aisle on their wedding days.

Except for my Daddy, who shook hands with M and said, "Good luck, buddy."

(Just kidding, Daddy. I could tell by the tears in your eyes how you were feeling.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the blog is as fabulous as ever, never boring!

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home