Friday, May 17, 2013

found

139:365

In addition to feeling at home by unpacking all of our belongings, I've experienced the added joy of discovering treasured possessions. Like my old Girl Scout sash that Zozo has been begging to see.

I feel found, myself. Grounded. At home and at peace. 16 months is a long time to be in a state of transition. My stress level has dropped considerably and I just feel happier over all. It's not necessarily about having a new house, although that helps. It's about feeling at home. Being where I am supposed to be. In MY house.

I didn't realize just how important that was until I didn't have it. Isn't that usually how it works? M and I were talking about this today. "Remember how we felt when we finished grad school?" he asked. "I wonder if this is like that." I remember it well. The overwhelming relief and the daily - sometimes hourly - realization that we didn't have to study that night. We held onto that feeling for a long, long time. Even now, every once in awhile one of us will say, "Aren't you glad we don't have to do homework tonight?!"

We agreed that this will last a long time, too. Maybe even more so because we get to live here every day.

I think it has to do with fully appreciating what we have, and not taking it for granted. And just enjoying the hell out of something we did together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home