Wednesday, March 20, 2013

counter

79:365

Counters installed today! Red up, green down. Black and white granite in the master bath.

They look great. These were another choice where I held my breath until install. There were more than a few days when I was tempted to call the counter guy and change the order to basic granite. But then I realized that I shouldn't do that for the mere reason that I didn't care what granite would be selected. To me, it all looks the same.

I have talked to so many women who told me about multiple trips to their granite suppliers, combing through aisles and aisles of stock to find the perfect piece. I can't understand that. There's brownish granite and blackish granite and some other colors. Beyond that, to me, it all pretty much looks the same.

And there's so much about this house that's unique that I didn't want just another slab of granite that, to me, could easily be switched out with anyone else's counter.

We were shopping for lights when I saw a display using the apple martini green counter. It was gorgeous and it gave me courage that it could be done, and it could look spectacular. I showed the display to M and said, "What do you think?" He surprised me when he didn't say no immediately. Then he suggested we use it in the rec room downstairs, which by its very function is more playful. I liked the idea, but didn't want to lose the idea of a bold pop of color in the great room, either. "If we do green downstairs, can we do red in the kitchen?" He said yes!

My husband, my sweet I-like-white-walls engineer husband, said yes to bright red counters in the kitchen.

Then I had to hold my breath until they were installed, and hoped they looked good. This isn't something we can just up and replace in a few years, you know?

Today the GC called over lunch and asked if I could come by. The counter guys wanted to talk about faucet placement. So once again I left work and headed over there, both excited and nervous. I walked in and BAM! There was the red counter. And I love it!

And now I'm working well into the night to make up for having to leave work, once again, in the middle of my work day. (Have I said this needs to be over?!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home