Thursday, March 14, 2013

news

72:365

It was incredible to watch the announcement of our new pope today. The white smoke poured from the Sistine Chapel chimney and our school swung into action. Someone set up the live feed from CNN in the theater and we crowded in to watch breathlessly. Hundreds of us watching, waiting and praying together. Lots of conjecture, speculation, and wishing. The boys got rowdy, chanting "Pope! Pope! Pope!" One boy came in with a swagger, "Pope is dope, man." They made me laugh.

After the announcement, I ran to capture video of the abbey church bells ringing in celebration. Then I realized this was as good a time as any to offer a prayer for Pope Francis I. I wandered into the sanctuary while the bells still clanged overhead, and noticed the young monk standing near their switches. After they fell to silence and the young monk left, I realized I was all alone in the church.

So I prayed.

I know a lot of people have issues with the Catholic Church. I understand that. I have my own issues and some days I really struggle.

But today. Today was not one of those days. Today I felt blessed to be a part of this wonderful faith family whose new leader is a humble servant.

We have a lot of work to do in our Church, and I believe the best way to effect change is to be at the table. It's easy to walk away. It's far harder to hang in there and work for progress. But it's worth it when it's something you love and when it's something that gives you far more than you could ever give it.

God bless Pope Francis I, and God bless our Church.

Habemus Papam! Laus tibi domine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home