Friday, August 24, 2012

abelard

237:365

This is Abelard. He is named after a noted theologian and he lives on our campus. Only monks would name a swan after a theologian who died a couple thousand years ago. Cracks me up.

Abelard is quite lonely now. After his mate died a couple years ago he didn't know what to do with himself. He now comes up to the high school each night, after all the people are gone, and hangs out next to a window or door. He looks at his reflection and, we suppose, is comforted by the thought of not being entirely alone.

A lot of people are afraid of Abelard, and he knows it. He hisses and spits at passersby, and I think he's chuckling the whole time. He's the avian equivalent of the old geezer that screams at kids, "Get off my lawn!" and then after he dies gets a pediatric wing named after him because he donated millions to help children. Abelard is beloved by our students, faculty and staff. And some of the monks. The others tolerate him.

I feel sorry for him when I see him, imagining how lonely he must be without Heloise (I think that was her name). I talk to him and he doesn't hiss at me, so I think we're good.

When I left tonight, Sandy (one of our awesome custodians) was using a hot dog bun left over from the back-to-school picnic last night to lure him away from the door. He was grumpily partaking and reluctant to leave his friend reflected in the door behind him.

I know how he feels. I get grouchy when I'm lonely, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home