Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Shoes, bras and sandy diapers

Yesterday was flat-out exhausting, and I think it's carrying over to today.

We had a video shoot for a local TV station here at the spa, and yours truly got to be the spokeswoman. Again. Which I hate. So anyway, that morning I was figuring out what to wear and decided on a brown sweater. Well, that brown sweater only looks good with a certain pair of brown pants. The brown pants are long, and therefore require a certain pair of brown shoes with heels. Which were so not the right shoes to wear on a day when I'm running around staging four spa rooms for a video shoot, going to vote, etc. Also, the brown sweater looks good only with a certain bra, which happens to be not the most comfortable bra in the world.

So, the decision to wear one simple shirt resulted in aching feet and overall misery by the end of the day. I know, I know. It's hard to be a woman. I should really just get rid of that shirt, but damn, it looks good!

We did the shoot, and immediately after wrapping I grabbed my keys and went to vote. Figured I should go during a predicted slow time instead of chancing it by waiting til after work and having to drag a very mobile child with me. With M out of town and unable to serve as backup, the idea of keeping tabs on a jumping child while trying to vote was not appealing. I figured right on the time, as I got right in and right out.

The rest of the day was spent running here and there, doing this and that, to the point where all I wanted to do was get home and take off the shoes and the bra that were causing me so much angst.

The bra and shoe issue was all put into perspective when I realized that my discomfort was nothing to what Zoe must have felt most of the day Monday. When I was changing her diaper after we got home from school, a little pile of sand spilled out. Now that, my friend, has to be uncomfortable at best. "Mommy, I have a rash." "Well, yeah, no shit!"

Anyway, so I deluded myself into thinking that I could do homework while watching the election returns roll in. Finally, around 9:45, I decided that it was pointless to keep trying to return to the laptop in the dining room, so I shut it down and parked my butt on the couch for the evening. I did manage to get the first homework problem done, and the spreadsheets set up for all the rest, so I'm pleased that I was at least a tiny bit productive.

I stayed up too late to watch the concession speech and the victory speech, although I do feel it was worth it. Not often you get to watch a big moment in history in the making. (Even if you're Republican, you gotta admit that electing the first African American POTUS is a big damn deal - even if he's only half-black.)

So I'm tired today, and right now all I want to do is go pick up my kid, take her home, and dump sand out of her diaper.


Post a Comment

<< Home