Sunday, January 13, 2008

I'm thankful I got a pedicure 2 days before I broke it

There are many, many things for which I am thankful right now, which is the only way to get through running a mental marathon with a broken foot.

I am thankful that my place of employment has no steps.

I am thankful that I live in a ranch house, although I am not thankful my laundry room is downstairs.

I am thankful my car is an automatic.

I am thankful that Ameren figured out what the hell was wrong and restored our power within hours (rather than days, as is their usual habit) Friday night.

I am thankful that I made it through my first week of graduate school with only one minor meltdown during study hall. I am also thankful the cute guy across the table was able to give me a few pointers and get me on track, which led to my earning 20/20 on the first week's quiz, and turning in my homework assignment on time (and with the correct answers).

I am thankful that I get to sleep with the cute guy across the table from me in study hall. (Study hall is, after all, my dining room table.)

I am thankful that my instructor did not make me answer the question in the book that asked: Write a paragraph describing your perceptions of what accounting is all about and the work that accountants do. M and I read this question, and between the two of us crafted this answer: They (accountants) are boring, and they count beans. Pretty sure that wouldn't have gone over well.

I am thankful that Zoe is finally talking, although now that she is talking she is hardly ever quiet. And most sentences begin with "Mommy?" which M takes as a sign that he need never answer the child, even if Mommy has a mouth full of food or water, which causes said child to continue her query, "Mommy? Mommy? Mommy? Mommy? Mommy?"

I am thankful my best friend lives in the same city as me, although it may be only temporarily. I'll take what I can get, and I'll be thankful enough for the both of us. Viva la bread!

I am thankful my gigantic software conversion at work is going smoothly (at least so far), and that the biggest naysayer has congratulated me on my success (thereby admitting that the sky is indeed not falling).

I am thankful that I have to wear only this boot, and not a full cast, although the boot is enough for folks to create new nicknames for me. My favorites are "Hop-Along" from my IT guy at work, and "Peg Leg" from my darling husband. And yes, that "darling" is dripping with sarcasm.

I am thankful that I have a wonderful, comfortable bed that is, this very instant, calling my name...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home