Tuesday, September 04, 2007

5:30 a.m.? Piece of cake!

Long weekend that was, as usual, not quite long enough. Saturday was a family reunion and getting ready for Zozo's party, Sunday was the party, and Monday was cleaning up from the party and running a few errands. That last part culminated in the battery dying in the ZoeMobile, leaving us stranded at Kohl's out on Manchester.

Did you know Sam's Club can install a new battery in 10 minutes? Handy!

I love three-day weekends not only for the extra day, but also for the four-day work week that follows.

Last week I started my new exercise schedule of hitting The Lodge at 5:30 a.m. and doing 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 on the treadmill. I love love love it. I woke up in a horrible mood this morning and within 15 minutes was at the gym. An hour later the bad mood was gone, replaced by a feeling of accomplishment, sweat, and general stinkiness. It feels great and preps me for the day, but by 9 p.m. I'm whupped and ready to hit the sack. I'm now sleeping a heck of a lot better than I have in years, and am inspired to eat better (and cut soda entirely from my diet - it's the whole notion of "why should I put a bunch of crap into my body when I'm working so hard to make it healthy?") I'm experiencing a general shift in lifestyle, I think.

One of the errands we ran yesterday was to purchase new shoes for me, due to my increased exercising. The cheapo Curves ones I had about killed my feet the first time I wore them to The Lodge, and my reliable Rykas have plum worn out. I found myself in Dick's Sporting Goods explaining to the shoe department manager, "Every day, I do 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 on the treadmill..." when I realized that I'm pretty darn proud of that. I'm pretty proud of the fact that I do an hour of exercise every day and am soaked in sweat by the end of it.

I'd have never pegged myself to be one of those people. Ever. You know the type. Those gym people.

My first morning was good in that I managed to use the correct towel to mop up my face and that I was fourth in line to get in the door, granting me my choice of elliptical. The first dude in line was wearing a crumpled suit and carrying a gym bag. Hmmm. Plenty of speculation on that over the next hour, that's for sure. Who shows up at the gym at 5:30 a.m. in a wrinkled suit? Some guy who shacked up the night before, that's who. That's our best guess, anyway. Anyway, I was (and still am, actually) shocked at the number of people who are there at 5:30 in the morning with me. I guess they've all known for some time what I've just discovered.

That it's cool to stand in Dick's Sporting Goods buying a new pair of Asics because you really do need a good, solid shoe to stand up to your daily workouts.

Steffi, you'll be pleased to note that I got the white, silver and blue ones. Not a spot of pink anywhere on them. Only because they were out of the pink ones in my size.

My exercise routine will change up a bit when M's traveling, as I won't be able to leave the house at 5:30 in the morning with Zo still sleeping and me being the only adult there, but it's okay. I've got a plan. I'll keep my sleep schedule the same by still getting up early and getting ready for work, coming in early and leaving early to go workout before picking up Zoe. That way I can stay on schedule. And we all know how Amy does much better when she's on schedule.

Just don't call me after 9 p.m. any more, as I'm sure I'll be sound asleep!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

5:30's a piece of cake but how's 4:24? :-) Love ya!

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home