Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Ready...set...GO!

I'm stuck in one of those, "You know, I really should..." moments. Where there's something I've been wanting to do for a long time, but just haven't gotten around to it, and now it's nagging me. Calling me. Filling my brain and not trickling out like it usually does.

Which means that I will actually have to do it in order for it to go.

It's not a bad thing, by any means. It's a new photography project I've been ruminating on for several years now. I'm not going to tell you what it is, because who knows, I may never move on it, and then wouldn't that be embarrassing.

"Hey, did you ever shoot ____?"
"Um, no, I never did get around to doing that."
"Oh, that's a shame. I bet it would have been good."
"Yeah."
-Uncomfortable silence.-

So I need to move on it, and plan to this weekend. Saturday morning, to be exact. There. Now I've gone and posted it, and so it's in writing, that I will start my project Saturday morning. It could turn out to be nothing, but I don't think so. I think it will be good. Great even, maybe.

This is my first real photographic project that will take more than a couple hours to shoot. It will take days, maybe even years. Don't worry, I'll let you in as soon as I get my butt in gear. Once I get past that first initial step, if it goes okay, I'll tell you about it. It's that whole stepping outside my comfort zone thing. Once that first step has been taken, though, I'll be good.

I'm very excited about it, along with being nervous, because it's the whole project thing. Not just grab shots here and there. I've been reading "On Being a Photographer" by David Hurn and Bill Jay (two photographic icons), and the first time I read it, a couple years ago, I wasn't there yet. I wasn't ready to choose my project. This time, though, it's there. Clear as day. And everything I read in that book about selecting a photographic project applies to this. I read it and find myself nodding. "Yes, yes, yes! It will work!"

I just have to actually start it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home