Sunday, June 03, 2007

Why you should always carry a camera

As we were getting out of the car at Target this evening, I saw another vehicle pull in that made me just start cracking up laughing. I couldn't even get, "M, look! Zozo, look!" out because I was laughing so hard.

What did I see? The Hershey's Kissmobile.


I didn't even know such a thing existed before today. Makes perfect sense, though, if you think about it. I mean, this country accepts, nay, celebrates, a giant hot dog on wheels, so why shouldn't we revere chocolate in a similar transportary way?

There were two lovely young ladies driving it, and I was reminded again about my lifelong ambition to drive the Wienermobile around the country. I can't remember if it's college students or recent college grads who try out for the coveted position of Wienermobile Driver, but The World's Finest School of Journalism always manages to contribute at least one per season (if memory serves me correctly). I, alas, did not know this during my stint at The World's Finest School of Journalism or I'd have applied (which means, unfortunately, that The Worlds' Finest School of Journalism should work on its communication skills. Ironic, no?).

I mean, yeah, you're essentially in for one long road-trip in a funky ass car, but wouldn't that be cool? But don't forget, you're "on" the entire time. The two Kissmobile ladies were stopping at Target this evening to pick up some personal items (it was 6:30 on a Sunday night, for Pete's sake. You know they were off duty by this point), and they attracted gobs of attention. Cars were driving by and people were shooting cell phone cameras like mad.

It's America. Folks flock to oddities. Like giant foil-wrapped chocolate drops with a six-cylinder fuel-injected engine.

God, I love this country.

"It's a bird! It's a plane! It's two tons of chocolate on a chassis!"
or
"Mom's going to need one giant glass of milk."

This image is entirely unrelated to the Kissmobile storyline, but it was taken this evening on the way to Target and it just made me laugh. I don't know if it's the sunglasses sliding down or the wisps of hair blowing up on either side of her head or the somber expression...or maybe the combination of it all, but it made me (and M) laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home