Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Get out the vote!

No, I haven't voted yet. Yes, I plan to. After work. (Repeat as needed throughout the day.)

Can't wait for the time when we can all simply log onto the internet and cast our virtual ballot. I'm sure that will come, just as soon as they can figure out all the details. Heck, if we can purchase World Series tickets on-line and keep out the hackers, I'm sure we can manage voting on-line.

I will miss the calls from all the pols, though, after today. Sigh. I was just getting used to my daily one-sided chats with Newt Gingrich (seriously, they still let him play?), Rudy Giuliani, Jim and Claire (never together, although they do like to talk about one another), unknown former state auditors, that chap from the American Heart Association and the rest of 'em. I know people who got calls from Bill and Barbara. Not fair! I bet Rudy was tying up the line when Babs was trying to call.

I will also miss all the yard signs, "Vote for me! No! Vote for ME! Me me me! Vote yes! Vote no! Vote hell no, we won't go!" On the way downtown this morning I saw a small group of people gathered by the side of Highway 40, where those turtle sculptures are, holding giant signs encouraging drivers to vote no on Amendment 2. Do these people not have jobs? Seriously. I have my opinions about things, but I'm not about to waste a day of vaca to hang out on the side of the highway. I wonder about the efficiency of that method of communication. How many undecided commuters were heading downtown this morning and thought, "Oh, people with signs...that's how I'll vote!" I do admire their dedication, though.

So, without further ado, here are my election day predictions: some people will win, some people will lose, some things will pass and some will fail. But no matter what, at the end of the day, I get to go home and play with my daughter and hang out with my husband and have a perfectly lovely evening. I know that no matter how the election is decided there will be no riots, raping or pillaging, no civil strife, no bloody coups, no curfews, no unrest, and that, my friends, is what makes America great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home