Monday, March 23, 2009

I feel like I've been sent to the principal's office

This morning as I was dropping Zozer off at school, I had a very interesting conversation with one of her teachers, Ms. Marya.

Here's the gist:

Teacher: We were wondering, have you noticed a change in Zoe's personality lately?
Amy: Uhhhh...(wondering, "clarify change...good? bad?") well, she spent much of the weekend misbehaving and some time in the corner, if that's what you mean.
Teacher: Yeah, she's been misbehaving here at school, too.
Amy: Oh, shit.

Needless to say, our little Zozer is testing her boundaries and trying out some new tactics. Turns out that she's refused to help pick up toys, and has gotten quite demanding on the playground, commanding the teachers to "Push me! PUSH ME! Push me noooooow!" while on the swings.

I met with Ms. Marya more after school to try to get a better handle on what exactly is going on and how we're to help. Basically, we need to keep doing what we're doing: not responding to demands and telling her that she needs make her requests appropriately. Hold her accountable, encourage her to become more independent, that sort of thing.

Now, if we can only get her grandparents - all six of them - to play by the rules...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home