Friday, March 14, 2008

What are the odds?

Holy crap.

I just logged into my on-line course because today is the first day we have access to our new course's content.

Yeah, that's a real mood-killer for the weekend.

This term, in BUSN 5760: Applied Business Statistics, I shall be learning things such as:
  1. Discrete Probability Distributions and Normal Probability
  2. Binomial Probability
  3. Central Limit Theorem
  4. Confidence Intervals for Means and Proportions
  5. Simple Linear Regression
  6. Chi Square Test of Independence
  7. Multiple Linear Regression
  8. Time Series Analysis with Smoothing and Seasonality
I've said it before and I'll say it again: maybe this MBA thing wasn't such a great idea after all. I pretty much gave up theorems when I left Rolla. And, you know, I didn't leave Rolla under the best circumstances. (Although I would like to clear up the common misperception that I "flunked out" of Rolla. I didn't. I chose to leave. Directly after some creative academic adjustments that included pulling college credits I earned at SLU in high school down to Rolla my last semester to keep me from going on academic probation. If that doesn't show an MBA mindset, I don't know what does.)

Here's the thing. I'm quite sure that in no point in my career will I need to use the Chi Square Test of Independence. I don't even know what it is yet, but I'm willing to bet cold, hard cash that I will never, ever use it again after this course.

I think that an MBA ought to consist of one simple question: Do you know how to hire people to handle all the stuff you don't know?

I consider myself a pretty bright person. I mean, I can figure most things out on my own given enough time and the resources to do it. What I pride myself on more than that, though, is that I have the ability to say, "Nope! Can't do that! Gotta get some help!" Which is really, I think, probably one of the more fundamental keys to success.

I mean, yeah, basic intelligence and perseverance and tenacity and all that other bullshit, yeah, that's important, too. But being able to understand that you don't know multiple linear regression from Tuesday, but there are people you can hire who do...now that's smart.

You know, accounting was a little different because there were principles and ideas I could bring back to the spa. My work did benefit from that class. But statistics? I guess maybe I'll be able figure out the mean, median or mode of brazilian wax clients each month of the year, but really, do I need that? (I shudder to think of what my career will have morphed into if I do.)

Well, check in with me in nine weeks and we'll see. Who knows. Maybe I'll be all geeked out on statistics.

Gosh, I hope not. That would just be sad.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have done numbers 1 through 7 on your list in school, it's really easy stuff as long as you study the material... I have no idea what number 8 will bring, good luck with that one!

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home