Monday, February 25, 2008

Just another reason to be addicted to the BlackBerry

I called AT&T this morning and, after only 40 minutes and 34 seconds, succeeded in turning off the landline at our house. Actually it'll be off by 6 p.m. tonight, but since we haven't used it in a long time and have already disconnected all our phones and stored them (and by "storage" I mean shoving them in a plastic Target bag and throwing them downstairs), I consider it off effective now.

We lose internet access tomorrow (by 6), and will be marooned with no method of communication save our CrackBerries until next Monday, when internet access promises to be restored (and faster, no less!).

I am very excited about this, as my household budget just increased by 40 bucks a month (more mochas!) and it's one less thing we have to answer/check (caller ID, answering machine). Even though we haven't had the answering machine hooked up in weeks, I still find myself looking at that section of the counter every time I come home. Old habits are hard to break, I suppose. My kitchen counter looks even cleaner now, which gives me a little charge every time I see it (it's the small things). Nightstands have extra space, and there is one fewer cord in the library.

M has taken to carrying his cell clipped to the band of his sweatpants while we're at home. (We are both dorks, but he is my king.) I prefer the more casual approach of carrying the cell phone into the room I know I'll be for awhile (i.e. the dining room when studying, or the library while playing with Zozer), and other than that (like, while I'm cleaning the house) leaving it sit on the kitchen counter. There have been a few times I've had to go running for it, but I'm cultivating the mindset that I am indeed not a slave to the telephone, and that it's okay to let it go to voicemail. Returning calls when I'm less busy (like, mid-2010) is a suitable alternative to accepting every single call as it comes in. It's that whole "I'm in control of how I spend my time, versus relying on the whims of those who wish to chat with me" concept.

Not that I don't like to chat. I'm a chatter. I can chat with the best of 'em. I just no longer have a lifestyle conducive to chatting. I am pretty darn scheduled from about 5:45 a.m. to midnight or 1 a.m. every day. Not a whole lot of time in there for "Cold enough for ya?" conversations. I am in danger of becoming an automaton on the phone. "Hello. State your business." Actually, I could shave off a nanosecond by dropping the "Hello." Come to think of it, being a fan of pith, I should just answer, "What?" M used to answer his phone at work, "Yeah." I'm thinking he was on to something.

I don't want to be rude, though.

Anyway, if you want to reach us, call us on the cells. If you don't have our cells, send us an e-mail (although for the next week I'll get them only during business hours). If you don't have our e-mails, call/e-mail someone else we both know. If you still can't reach us, then we probably don't have time to talk to you anyway. Yeah. What?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home