Thursday, October 04, 2007

Oh baby!

One of my former bosses had his baby this morning. Well, he didn't, obviously, but his wife did. The birth of a baby is always special, but there's something else there now that I've had my own. I look at pictures and it takes me back instantly to the first time I got to hold Zoe. Which is why I generally cry upon hearing the news of a new baby. The e-mail popped up in my in-box this morning and as soon as I read the subject, "Healthy baby boy!" I knew that Jimmy and Christa are in the best possible place in the whole wide world right now, and tears immediately sprang (sprung? springed?) to my eyes.

Since I had a kid, I am such a freakin' sap.

So, that's my good news today. It's got me floating on cloud nine...happiness just for them. Congratulations to Jim and Christa. And their as-yet-unnamed baby boy. I'll just call him Jimmy Jr. for now.

My workout this morning rocked. I've increased both weight and sets, which means by the end of the strength training portion my muscles are indeed truly stressed and I'm sweating. Then I hopped on the treadmill and, because I didn't have a whole 1/2 hour due to the increase in sets, ran for 20 minutes. But I averaged a 12-minute-mile, which is pretty darn fast for me.

I've discovered that some mornings I have it, and some I don't. And some it just takes me a bit to get into the rhythm. For the most part, the 30 minutes on the treadmill are great. I pound along jamming to music and it goes relatively quickly. I feel like a well-oiled machine, strong and powerful. There have been a few mornings, though, that I feel like the Tin Man before he got his oil job. My runner friends have assured me that this is perfectly normal...that everyone has "off" days. That makes me feel better, and keeps me going back.

This morning, it took me about five minutes to hit my stride. Don't know if it was the increased weight and more sets during the strength training or what, but I felt herky-jerky when I started. And I could feel the wobbly bits on my body, well, wobbling. Ugh. Gross. And then, after a few minutes, it all sorta evened out. I quit wobbling and hit that groove where I felt like I could run forever. I love that feeling.

What gets me going, and keeps me going, is the playlist I created for the iPod. I called it "Work It Out" because that's what I'm doing when I go to the gym. I'm working out my body, but I'm also working out my spirit...I always feel great after a workout. So, anyway, I had a lot of fun one night going through my entire music library (all 4,500 songs) and pulling those that get me moving.

I have tons of really great music, and a lot of it means something special to me. And a lot of it reminds me of you people. Songs that were playing in the background during special moments, or songs that you introduced me to, that sort of thing. I'm the type of person who always has music running through her head even when there's nothing playing out loud...it's like a soundtrack to my life.

So, when I hear Move Your Body by Eiffel 65, it's Saara I think of. Abacab by Genesis or Turn Me Loose by Loverboy is Papa. Little Red Corvette is Mama. The entire 2006 Cardinals At-Bat soundtrack is on my Work It Out playlist, thanks to Garrin. Snow by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is Zoe's song. M has several, including Pour Some Sugar on Me and We Will Rock You. Beano = all things Nelly and the Black Eyed Peas. Duran Duran and Green Day are all me. And throughout all this, I have the words of my Personal Motivator, Stef, running through my head, "Don't think about the scale...think about how great you feel. Think about how you're replacing fat with muscle." and my personal favorite, "If you're not sore, you're not lifting enough!"

It's amazing. Even though at the gym I don't talk to anyone and appear lost in my own little world of white headphones attached to a white box the size of a deck of cards, ya'all are with me. And that's about the most inspiring thing I could ask for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home