Friday, September 21, 2007

Take me out of the ballgame...

Well, we went to the Cardinals "game" last night. I put game in quotes because, if you saw any of it, you know it was anything but. A game denotes actual competition, and since we didn't even really bother to show up I hesitate to call it a game.

We left after the 7th inning, so we missed the highlights such as Aaron Miles being thrown in as pitcher (whereas he hit his first batter and served up a homerun to his second). Poor Miles. I'm proud of him taking one for the team because last night he shot his ERA all to hell. Can you imagine the conversation in the dugout?

Tony: "Well, this sucks worse than Barry Bonds' ego trip. Damn, the bullpen's fartin' around playing jacks or Uno cards or something. Aaron? What're you doing? You busy?"

Aaron: "Um, no, sir. I was just catching up on some reading. What's up?"

Tony: "Go out there and play catch with...let's see...I already pulled Molina, and Bennett beat me at poker the other night so I promised him a shot at first...Stinnett's available...yeah, Stinnett. Go play catch with Stinnett. Oh, and try not to bean anyone standing near the plate."

So the Cardinals' chance at the playoffs is pretty much nonexistent at this point, unless something catastrophic happens like the city of Chicago being taken out by a meteor or overrun with aliens. And yet, we should all remember that until the last game of this year's World Series, we are indeed still the World Champion St. Louis Cardinals.

From what I can tell, Cardinal nation is actually gearing up to cheer for the Cubbies to go all the way. Huh. What d'ya know. Pigs really may fly over a frozen hell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home