Thursday, September 06, 2007

What's Latin for "quit thinkin' so much already"?

Anima Sana in Corpore Sano

My father-in-law will be able to read that, but for those of you who don't know Latin, it means "a sound mind in a sound body."

Which is a pretty good thing to strive for, don't you think?

I'd never heard of that exact phrase until I bought my new running shoes, which, by the way, are awesome.

So I've been thinking a lot lately about what I need to do to have a sound mind in a sound body, and have come to the conclusion that I have a lot of work to do. On both counts. Sound mind and sound body.

Granted, I'm on the path. I'm now exercising for an hour every morning, and have eliminated my daily can of soda, and am becoming more mindful of how much I'm eating with each passing day. (Overeating is a huge downfall for me...even if it doesn't taste particularly good, if it's in front of me, it goes in my mouth. And now the habit of eating something sweet after lunch and dinner is haunting me, and is in the process of being banished. Stupid desserts.) I'm even a regular consumer of fiber now, even though admitting that makes me feel about 80. So that's the sound body part.

As for sound mind, I guess I'm on the path with that, too, learning to keep my emotions in check (although more often than not I fail miserably with that and get all worked up over virtually nothing, and I let other people's words and actions affect me way too much.) I read a lot, and try to be open to growth and change and learning new things.

And then sometimes I think that I overthink all this way too much. Isn't it enough that I simply enjoy a good pounding on the elliptical when I hear Kanye West's "Stronger," and that reading is not a self-improvement task but is instead pleasureful and relaxing?

I'm sure by now you're wondering what Anima Sana in Corpore Sano has to do with my new running shoes. That's what the tag on the shoes says is the name of the company: ASICS.

It's like when I learned that the word "spa" comes from the Latin Sanus Per Aquam, which means "health through water."

Cool, huh? Latin rocks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home