Thursday, May 31, 2007

La Traviata

It's official: I love the opera.

La Traviata was magnificent. Beautiful. Gorgeous. From the sets to the costumes to the singing...I loved it all.

I wasn't so sure during the first act. I was having trouble getting into it, and it was sort of bothering me that they were singing opera-style in English. Sounds ridiculous until you get used to it. Second act: cried my eyes out. Third act: cried everything else out.

If you go see it, and I recommend you do, take a box of tissues. Or four.

M, not so much. He yawned a couple times, asked again if there was going to be beer and brats, and said his standard, "It's okay. It wouldn't be my first choice for entertainment." Roughly translated: "If it doesn't involve a baseball, football, hockey puck or volleyball, beer, or go-carts...we ain't goin' back."

He's such a good husband, though, I know he'll go back just for me.

I'm still floating from the experience. I can't even come up with the words to describe it. The St. Louis Opera Theater is also showing The Mikado and Anna Karinina this season, and now I'm dying to go.

It's pretty powerful stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home