Monday, April 30, 2007

Ready for flowers

Perfectly lovely weekend for me and my kin, marred only by the unfortunate and untimely death of Cards relief pitcher Josh Hancock.

Weather was beautiful, so we spent some time outside, including going to the ballgame and witnessing, unbeknownst to us, Hancock's last time on the mound.

I'm completely jazzed about working outside around the house. When we first got married and moved into our new home in South County, we went crazy with landscaping. We did some pretty major overhaul type stuff completely on our own, with no help. I got so fed up with de-rocking the lawn (hence my eternal damnation of lava rock as a landscaping tool) that I wanted nothing more to do with working outside. Plus, I was sitting in traffic for over two hours every day, and by the time I got home I most definitely did not want to go stand outside and water everything for an hour.

Granted, our lawn looked perfectly lovely since M has never faltered with taking care of the grass, but since then we've had absolutely no ornamentation at all. No flowers, no colorful plants. Nothing.

When we moved to our current house, landscaping was a giant mess all over again. Overgrown shrubs, weedy lawn, mulch that looked like it had been around since the Stone Ages. Bless his heart, M tackled it all almost completely by himself. We had the big stuff (trees and enormous shrubs) taken out professionally, but he did everything else. I was still sporting a huge anti-yardwork chip on my shoulder from the first house.

Finally, last fall, M put new shrubs in front of the house. They look fantastic, except for the Heavenly Bamboo which did not winter well and will need to be replaced. They are smallish and something that even I could handle.

But now, finally, I'm ready for some color. Flowers!

I'm realistic, though, and know myself and that this burst of energy as far as landscaping goes will probably be relatively short-lived. In other words, I'm not going to want to come home and spend an hour watering everything. Enter the in-ground sprinkler system, which is one of the best inventions ever. However, ours is currently broken and needs to be repaired before we can use it, so my landscaping itch is going to have to wait.

To temporarily satisfy myself, I put out my concrete ducks given to me by GG (although they desperately need to be repainted, which I shall endeavor to do this week), a couple resin hedgehogs and a cast iron frog. Then I plunked down in a lawn chair with a glass of wine and surveyed my handiwork.

Ahhhh, summer feels good, doesn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home