Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Lucky lunch

You know what's really great? Going to lunch with a friend/former colleague and seeing two other people you like from two other parts of your life on your way there and at the restaurant. I feel "known." Or that I know a good many others.

Some people are just like that. M's Aunt Shelley knows everyone, I think. She even runs into people she knows outside of America, which is really quite cool and doesn't happen to just anyone. I'm pretty sure it's because everyone who meets Shelley loves Shelley. She's just magnetic like that.

I've never been one of those people who runs into acquaintances while out and about. Which is a good thing because lots of times (on the weekends especially), I can look a little rough around the edges. I've got a little collection of favorite ballcaps that doesn't help matters, either. Now, though, more and more I keep running into people I know. It makes me feel like my life is diversified and open and that I have lots of great people around me, which is nice.

Someone told me a long time ago that the best thing you can do to improve your life (including health and overall well-being) is to surround yourself with really great people. I didn't know at the time just how valuable that is. I didn't know that one has a choice, really, in whom one deals with on a daily basis. That you can choose to not be around people who aren't good for you, or who make you doubt yourself or make you feel bad. I take that back...because no one can make you feel any certain way. You can let them influence your feelings, but ultimately it is you who are responsible for how you feel.

Since I'm the sort of person who too easily takes on the moods/attitudes of whoever is around me, I have to remember constantly to surround myself with good, positive people or I just get dragged down and mired in the muck of other people's misery or neuroses.

I've done that now. Surrounded myself with good people, that is, not gotten dragged downa dn mired in the muck. I have a great group of really fine people who never fail to help make me feel good, or who I can just have a good time with. And it's not who I expected. I don't have the traditional clique of college girlfriends or whatever. It's just this completely random assortment of people I've picked up here and there throughout my life and have been lucky enough to hold on to.

Isn't that cool? Aren't I lucky?!

Lunch today, by the way, was at I Fratillini at Wydown and Hanley. Yum-my. Deliciouso. Fantastico! I highly recommend the goat cheese ravioli with spinich and pine nuts. Heaven on earth. Only a glass of Pinot Grigio could have made it better, but alas, return to work I must!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home