Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Be Like Kermit

Seems we're all going green these days, and I say, "It's about damn time." Whodathunk the green movement would propel Al Gore to the forefront of American pop culture?!

As I drove down the street on the way to work today, I passed many houses that had their trash out. The amount of trash generated by people never ceases to amaze me. Some of the smallest houses had the largest piles of trash bags. How on earth can people create that much garbage?

Even with the addition of Zozo to our family, we still do not generate that much trash. Granted, I probably shouldn't be on my environmental high horse since I'm a huge proponent of disposable diapers, but I feel as though I do my part in other areas and can be granted that one little luxury.

We typically have less than 1 can of trash to go out to the curb every week (even with the diapers). Another can carries our recyclables. All our paper recycling goes to the paper retriever at church. I take our plastic grocery bags back to Dierberg's and stuff them into the plastic bag recycling receptacle. I used cotton bags for awhile when I went grocery shopping, figuring that it wasn't that big a deal since I was bagging my own groceries at Shop 'n Save anyway, but M was mortified and thought I looked like a bag lady so I stopped.

We use cloth napkins at dinner instead of paper ones, and we don't purchase much "disposable" stuff. We buy in bulk to reduce packaging, and refill our smaller containers from the bulk containers. I get riled whenever I have to throw away a giant box with all the tape, wire and cardboard that kept the small toy within from being stolen from Wal-Mart.

We drive fuel-efficient cars, and we plan our errands so as to maximize our trips out. We consider ourselves pretty environmentally friendly. But then I went here and I got a rude awakening.

It said that if everyone lived like I do, we would need 4.1 earths. Ugh. That's rather sobering.

See what kind of impact you make on the world, and what you can do to reduce it.

My first task? I have an e-mail in to Citibank asking how I can be removed from their idiotic mailing list that sends me multiple credit card applications almost every day of the week.

Up next: CF's for all the lamps in the house. Let's go green, shall we?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! I took the quiz, 4.4 earths. I will start burning the trash....how's that? :-)

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home