Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Boob Tube

Last night I hung out with Zozo, played for a bit, organized our hall bathroom closet (we finally hung the plastic shoe rack on the closet door, and it's now fully stocked with all our linen closet goodies, which means we don't have to riffle through a stack of towels and wash clothes to find the allergy medicine), watched some SATC, and was in bed by 10:30. Which is very good for me.

Mom and Dad Z finished watching The Blues Brothers, which is by far the greatest movie ever made. Yes, M, it is better than 2001: A Space Odyssey. Hate to burst your bubble there, buddy. I was a bit worried about loaning it to them, after all the hype I had done about how great it was, but I think they were at least amused by it.

Tonight I plan to watch Sabrina, with Audry Hepburn. Have never seen it, but love Audrey, so can't wait to plop down and watch. This is definitely a good movie to watch while M is out of town (see above 2001 reference for "his" kind of movies).

Over the weekend we rented Syriana, with George Clooney and Matt Damon. In case you haven't seen it, don't bother. Holy cow, what a snoozer. You know, I really don't like it when a movie, a flick, makes me feel stupid. I'm not the only one, though. M couldn't follow it either. We just kept watching, every once in awhile asking each other, "Are you getting it yet?" "Nope." "Maybe if we just keep watching..." Finally I started dozing off from sheer lack of interest and inability to discover what in the hell was going on and how all these random people were related, and we called it a night. Have no idea how it ends, and couldn't care less. Clooney looks like a worn-out geezer instead of his normal studly self, and while Damon is always eye candy, even he wasn't worth schlepping through this one. Thought it was supposed to be good, seeing as how it was nominated for a ton of major awards and Clooney even won an Oscar or something for it. Methinks the Hollywood establishment didn't get it either, but thought they should, so they tried to show how intellectual they are by nominating it all over the place.

Actually, the plot was strong (well, the description of what the plot was supposed to be on the DVD box was strong), and the acting was good, and most of the dialogue was decent, but I think the editing was what caused it to suffer. It was so freakin' choppy, and I got the distinct impression that the editors got "too close" to the film and didn't realize that the viewing public couldn't follow the leaps. At least, we couldn't follow the leaps, and we consider ourselves reasonably intelligent people.

We put it on par with The Thin Red Line, which also had an all-star cast and which we never bothered to finish either.

Last night was the premiere of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, otherwise known simply as Studio 60 because the former is a really long title. I'm curious about this show for several reasons: a.) it's by the creators of The West Wing, which is my most favorite show ever, b.) it's got Matthew Perry of Friends fame in it, and I'm curious to see him break outside his Chandler mold, and c.) it's got Bradley Whitford in it, whom I think is simply adorable and one hell of an actor. Whitford played Josh Lyman in The West Wing, and was my favorite character, outside of Martin Sheen's President Jed Bartlett. Now see, The West Wing was a show for intelligent people, and we followed it reasonably well and enjoyed watching it, so I'm not sure what crack pipe the makers of Syriana were smoking.

Anyway, I taped Studio 60 to watch later, with M. We watched West Wing together from the beginning, and are in need of a new "us" show. By "us" show I mean one that we can watch together, instead of me falling asleep during Monday Night Football (which is now Sunday Night Football, thanks to the programming clowns) and him rolling his eyes through Gilmore Girls.

What totally cracks me up is how, despite his best efforts, involved M is with SATC. He's behind now, since I've watched a few episodes without him. But it was funny to be watching SATC while he "worked" on his laptop, and seeing him not really working but instead watching the TV intently over the laptop screen. I knew I had him hooked when he started saying things like, "I can't believe she did that to Aidan" and "I bet Miranda ends up with Steve." Hee hee. Gotcha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home