Friday, May 23, 2014

Low maintenance

Sometimes all I need is an iPad with great blogs queued up and a giant pitcher of sweet tea.

Today was the official start of my summer hours. I dress casually, and work from home more. I was so productive this morning, banging away in my home office while Zoe played with a friend out the window. It was peaceful and I felt like I was actually accomplishing stuff, which doesn't happen every day now.

Then I got a douchey email reply from a colleague. I was really upset about it and called M to vent. I read him my initial request and then the one-word reply. He burst out laughing which made me see how ridiculous the whole thing is and so I started laughing too. He totally got my head in the right place. And this, my friends, is just one more reason why I love that man.

I did go into the office for a bit this afternoon, but most people started their holiday weekend early and were gone and maintenance already started (loud) demolition for the library renovation, so I didn't stay long. Tonight was a happy hour to say goodbye to two awesome colleagues who are leaving for greener pastures. I wasn't quite sure what to expect going in, as sometimes the Jerk Crew crashes events and makes things uncomfortable for many, but only the nice people showed up and it was really a lovely night. We all stayed much later than expected, and then everyone decided to leave at once and so there was this awkward circle of people standing around trying to say goodbye but not wanting to and I started to sweat because I couldn't do my normal disappearing act where I wait until everyone is talking to someone else and then slip out. I learned that from a former boss. Everyone would be chatting and then someone would be like, "Hey! Where'd Brian go?" He'd be long gone without having to do all the goodbye stuff that drags on when all you really want to do is go home and get into your jammies and belch freely. I finally just bolted tonight when no one was looking in my general direction. Urp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home