Saturday, May 17, 2014

And while Daddy was gone...

Well, now that we've shown the finished product to M, I am allowed to talk about the fact that Zoe had her ears pierced Friday. She swore me to secrecy until we could show him, and he's on retreat this weekend.

Now, don't get the impression that I went and did this all on my own. I would never create holes in our child by myself. This was definitely a Family Decision. Many of her friends have been getting their ears pierced, and she asked if she could, too. We figure she's responsible enough to take care of them, so we agreed that it was time.

Later that night, after Zoe went to bed, M asked me to do it this weekend while he was gone on retreat. "I just can't be there. I can't watch it." Then the man physically shuddered while making a face that looked like he was about to vomit.

This kills me. This is the guy who watched doctors slice open his wife's abdomen, break her water manually, then pull a baby from her gut, all without batting an eye. He watched them pile his wife's organs back into her body and stitch her up, and didn't flinch.

And yet, the mere thought of ear piercing nearly made him hurl. WTF?

So of course I had fun with it. "It's not a big deal. It's like two staplers. Bam BAM!" He turned green and begged me to stop. And I laaaauuughed.

He left Thursday for the retreat, and I picked Zozer up from school on Friday instead of having her go to after care. We went straight to the mall and she marched into Sweet and Sassy and let them know she was ready to get her ears pierced. It took her about 30 seconds to choose her starter posts, and then she was ready. Apparently her friends had given her so many details about how it went down that she was perfectly fine and ready to go. The whole thing went so quick, and she was thrilled. I, of course, cried like a little baby over the whole idea of my baby girl being old enough to sport earrings.

Another rite of passage down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home