Sunday, September 30, 2012

glow

274:365

We went to the rockin' mass tonight, as Zoe calls it. What a great end to the day.

We started this morning by cleaning our new home for the first time. Which was both exciting and disgusting. All the rain we had last week puddled up on the subfloor and was driving me crazy. First because I'm frequently at the house in work clothes and shoes and it's a nasty mess, and second because despite my GC's assurances that it was fine I'm convinced that all that water can't be good. We shop-vac'd nearly 150 gallons off the floor of the guest room and Zoe's room. I used a broom to push the water in the great room out the back door. I feel much better now.

I also realized that my fear of being overwhelmed at cleaning a larger house is irrational. This house, our home that we designed just for us, means so much to me that today I didn't even mind picking up piles of sopping wet sawdust with my bare hands. Working on it is truly a labor of love.

Picking out appliances, however, is about to send me over the edge. Well, it's not so much the appliances themselves (they are pretty darn cool, actually) but more my darling husband's desire to discuss every possible iteration of a kitchen arrangement. Cooktop? Range? Wall oven? Where does the microwave go? By the end of the day, after an hours long discussion with yet another appliance salesman, I had a raging headache and the overwhelming desire to stuff both my husband and the salesman into the demo wall oven. Or perhaps one of the dishwashers. The one with the special power scrubber feature and the separate silverware tray.

It was a good thing I went to mass. I apologized to God and asked for more patience and gave thanks for the fact that we can even have these excruciating conversations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home