Sunday, September 30, 2012

lights

273:365

We looked at ranges today. Ranges and cooktops and ovens and combination ovens and refrigerators and dishwashers and lights. Lots and lots and lots of lights.

We chose lights, and then we got the prices on the lights. After we picked ourselves up off the floor (who knew lights were so expensive?) we resolved to do some Internet searching and then went to an Oktoberfest party hosted by a family in our parish. I drank some German beer and sang "Ein prozit! Ein prozit! Der gemütlichkeit!" Not that I remember what that means from my two years of high school German and two years of college German. Cheers or something along those lines. It's not asking for the bathroom. I know this because I do remember that this particular phrase is "wo ist das bodzimmer?" I can ask for a beer (Ein bier, bitte!), say cheers, and ask for the restroom. What more does a girl need in Germany?

Tonight, all I know is that I wasn't singing about lights or dishwashers or cooktops or refrigerators or shingles, which started to go on the roof today. My GC had told me they'd start today but I didn't believe that anyone would start shingling a roof after noon on a Saturday and so was pleasantly surprised.

But I digress.

I straightened my hair for the party this evening in an attempt to divert attention away from the home we are building on a main thoroughfare in our community. It did not work. I am now known, and will be forever known, as "that woman building that Frank Lloyd Wright style house." I wanted distinctive...and it appears that's what I'm getting. And I suppose there are far worst things to be known for. Wait til they see it done. It's gonna be so freaking awesome. They haven't even seen the vertical casement windows with the gorgeous chocolate trim, or the beautiful amaretto brick alternating finishes for the subtle stripe. Hell, I can't wait to see it!

The conversations tonight, though, got pretty funny. A friend from my retreat said, "Oh my goodness! You have shingles! Gorgeous!" To which I replied, "I know! Isn't it great!" The new friend standing there looked at me in horror, thinking we were discussing shingles of the medical variety, which are neither gorgeous nor great.

So here I am, up late (per my usual), slightly intoxicated (not so usual), showing a random photograph I made today mostly to document something for the house (per my new normal). Behold: my first choice for the light over the dining room table.

It looks a lot better in person, trust me. It compliments, but does not fight, the chandeliers hanging from the beams that span the clerestory. It will look awesome. I just have to figure out a way to pay a fraction of the price given to me today.

Here's to new construction and old friends and new friends and nosy neighbors begging for a peek inside and German beer. Prost!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home