Monday, May 24, 2010

Lost Rant

I am so happy that Lost is over.  Because now I don't have to hear about it anymore, or see numerous headlines on the "news" pages about it, or watch 500 people make it part of their Facebook status updates every week.  The end of a TV show is not news to me.  It really shouldn't be news to anyone.

Nothing that happens on television should be that important, except for maybe the President's State of the Union address (whomever happens to be in office).  Because this person is running the freakin' country for  Pete's sake.  This shouldn't have to be stated, but sadly, it seems to be a point lost to those who think that whatever is happening with a character called McDreamy is the most important thing in the universe.  Instead, the State of the Union is when most Americans sigh and use their Tivo to catch up on their missed Lost or Gossip Girls or The Hills or whatever freakazoid show.  I hear about a reality show featuring some woman named Snooki and I shake my head. I mean...really?

I used to watch TV.  Back in the day, we were regular Thursday night watchers of NBC.  That was the Friends era and the like.  And I was totally, completely, unabashedly addicted to The West Wing.

And then a little thing happened called grad school, where spare time was so precious and rare that there was no way in hell we were going to spend it glued to the boob tube.  Since graduating, we are reveling in the freedom and taking advantage of our time.  We work hard and play hard and spend our time doing things that count, that at the end of our lives won't leave us wondering where the hell the time went.

I confess, I did have one rough day recently where I was tired and grouchy and wanted nothing more than to sit my ass on the couch and let my brain drizzle out of my ear.  We did that for a few hours, then got into a huge fight.  M stated the evening was a total waste and the shows were ridiculous and hardly qualifying as actual entertainment, and because I was tired and grouchy I argued back with him.  Mainly I was pissed because he was right and we had wasted an entire evening.

We spent the bulk of the weekend outdoors.  We worked on the yard, cutting grass (M) and planting flowers in patio pots and beds (me).  We purchased, installed, and filled a new birdfeeder.  M replaced the exploded clutch plate on the lawnmower and I cleaned the patio furniture and the patio.  It was 90 degrees and it was fantastic.  All I kept thinking about was how for the last two years we were confined to the house, and how good it felt to be outside.  M wandered over, taking a break from pushing the mower, and grinned, "Isn't this great?!"  I swear, we feel like we have been freed from a prison sentence.  At the end of both days we were tired, sweaty and had bits of grass (M) and mulch (me) stuck to us.  We were disgusting...and happy.

I hope I never go back to a lifestyle that involves making television a priority.  Life is too short.  I'd rather get lost in actually living than in network programming.  Want to come over and have a glass of wine on my patio? It's real purty now with flowers and such.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Pingy said...

I know! I know! I know!

Except for Glee--the feel good, maybe life doesn't really suck so bad show.

And Modern Family--absolutely THE funniest, laugh out loud show on the tube. For reals.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Okay, I'll give you Modern Family. That show is a friggin' riot. I watch it on Hulu, nights when M is gone and I'm too tired to move.

I'm not touching Glee, though.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home