Monday, May 17, 2010

My new standing in the family

M flew off this morning for his monthly visit to his team in Rhode Island.  Last night, as he returned from taking the trash out to the curb (and therefore had to pass the newest horse in the stable), I noticed he was pouting.  "Are you sad to be leaving her?" I asked.  He nodded woefully.  I handed the key fob to him and he went and sat in the Corvette for a few minutes before coming in.

I let him have his good-bye, and then pointed out to him that in all the years of marriage (it'll be 13 in October), the boy has never shown any physical signs of distress at leaving his wife when going out of town on business.  He said, "I'm always sad to leave you."

Uh huh.  Right.

Usually it's all, "Woo hoooo!  I'm goin' outta town!  Starbucks at the airport, a crappy rental car I can drive like I'm racin' NASCAR at Darlington, and a bed all to myself in my favorite Hampton Inn - where they have make-yer-own waffles every morning for breakfast!"

I started to notice a change when, before we even picked her up in Bowling Green, he was buying her presents like money was no object.  She had logo'd floormats waiting for her (we actually took them to Kentucky with us in the rental car...no sense in making her go without for even a day).  Her car cover was on order.  Her splash guards were on back-order (they've since been delivered...whew!).  Last night he breathlessly described the jacks he wants to buy, claiming, "I'm saving us money because I don't have to purchase the lift pucks!" or some such nonsense.  I've started to tune out his ramblings.

All this from the same man who said to me, "We're not spending that much on a cell phone!" upon hearing my request for an iPhone.

So, I see where I stand.  One notch below the gleaming beauty who roars at the touch of a button and whose navigation system puts my map-reading skills to shame (admittedly, I rely on left-right directions since my north-south comprehension is, shall we say, lacking).  So she takes her top off with the flick of three switches and makes heads turn (both men and women).  As if that's impressive?

Sigh.

I give up.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Ping said...

Do you want me to start a Facebook campaign to get you your well-deserved iPod?

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Ping said...

Did I say iPod? Yes? No? Well, if I did, I meant iPhone. A thousand pardons to Ping.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

That won't make a bit of difference to him. He's never on Facebook. But you can send him messages by posting comments here...he reads these religiously. I know this because he says things like, "Did you read Ping's post on the blog?!" He'll deny it, but he loves his starring role here.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home