Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Typos? Or Freudian slips?

I like to use this space to document things that happen to me...little funny everyday things and big giant impactful things...it's a way for me to get it down so I can look at it later and laugh or sigh or remember or think, "You moron, why the hell did you write that?"

And it's with this intent that I'm posting today's funny story. Well, I think it's hilarious.

M and I work every single day of our lives on school. Every day. Every night during the week, and the last four Saturdays (all dang day) and Sunday while Zozer is napping. We work so much on school that he doesn't get to work on Christmas and my new camera is still, well, really new. No Christmas planning for him and no photography for me is pretty much hell on earth, but we're finding ways of coping somehow. And December 18 is the light at the end of the tunnel!

Anyway, this term has involved a lot of writing. A lot. A shitload, a boatload, a crapload, an oh-my-gawd-I'm-so-sick-of-my-laptop-load. We typically review each other's work before submitting, checking for content, spelling, grammatical errors, etc. A couple weeks ago I was reviewing M's article analysis, where we have to find a recent article on the Web pertaining to this week's topic, summarize it, and relate it to our class. I read the whole article, made my few very-minor tweaks, and then noticed a typo in the line that credits the article's author. I started laughing and asked, "This article was written by Boob Johnson? Really?" Uh, no, that would be Bob Johnson.

Then, Saturday, I was reviewing his final project, the giganto Marketing Plan. We each got to use our own businesses to do this work, which I think in some ways is easier and in others infinitely harder (for instance, you can't just make up numbers when you're basing it all on real stuff...feels like cheating). One of the segments deals with distribution and he had written something like, "The company recent cancelled a contract with a pubic warehouse in Philadelphia..."

Man, that is one warehouse I don't ever want to see.

I placed the "l" appropriately within the word and all was corrected, but not before we split our guts laughing about it.

And who says grad students don't have fun?!

Gawd, this is really sad if these two typos are the humorous high points of our lives currently.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Congratulations go out to little Zozer this week, as it's her first full week of school! Yes, that's right, our Bug now attends school five days a week.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was reading one of Annie Liebovitz's books the other night (well, not so much reading as studying the images since she's a photographer and not a writer and therefore her books are light on text and heavy on pictures). This particular book is a mix of her personal photographs and her public (for-hire) images. It was fascinating to see that a well-known, celebrated photographer takes the same kind of family snapshots as the rest of us. It was also a relief to realize that not every one of my images of my child has to be absolutely perfect. I think when I finally get to start photographing again, I won't put so much pressure on myself to wait for the perfect moment or the perfect light, and just try to capture what's really there. It's a whole new way of thinking about photography for me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Zoe! This must be to prepare for Kindergaretn NEXT YEAR!!!! Wheh time flies...

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like I need to go back.. I can't even spell Kindergarten right! Nice!

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home