Monday, February 09, 2009

The essay exam from hell

Okay, so I haven't really been a good blogger lately. I've been too busy tapping on the keyboard for school instead. I'd like to get to the end of this term and do a word count on what I've written, but it would take too long, I don't have the time, and I think it would be too depressing. Suffice it to say that the spacebar on my laptop has a spot that's worn shiny, and part of my "N" key is gone so that it now looks like an upside-down V.

Friday night was the second part of our marketing mid-term. Two hours to answer 10 essay questions. I wasn't too, too worried about it. After all, I'm a writer and a marketer. While I didn't exactly expect a walk in the park, I was unprepared for the marathon through the Sahara.

Essay questions don't phase me. In fact, I'd almost prefer essay to multiple guess. This, however, was like no other essay exam I've ever taken.

For instance, one question (one, out of ten) was something like this: Describe in detail the five parts of the market segmentation process and provide a detailed example of a real product and how it may go through the process. If you allot the same amount of time to each question, you have exactly 12 minutes to do this. At some point your brain starts to cramp up and you start wondering if it wouldn't be easier to simply make up a product and hope you don't get called on it.

I "finished" with 7 minutes left, which was enough time to fly through roughly 3 of the 10 answers just to check for typos. The rest of 'em be damned.

We clicked submit with 3 seconds left on the timer...I've never cut it that close before. If you go over, you get a point subtracted for each minute. I wasn't about to risk that. After we clicked submit we just looked at each other. Then a string of expletives.

Still don't know how we did. Don't know if I want to know, really. There's no way on earth that test could have been given in a classroom setting unless each student had a computer. Even then, if you don't type at blazing speeds (like moi), you're screwed. M and I pounded on our keyboards for two hours straight. It was the fastest two hours of my life...I don't know that I breathed much during it, and was completely unaware of anything else beyond the laptop screen. It was pretty intense. Makes me so look forward to the final.

The rest of the weekend was spent working on this week's assignments. We read six chapters (three in each book), completed another large chunk of our final project for the marketing class, and did some of the required discussion board posting. I'm looking forward to the time where I don't even have to look at a laptop screen for an entire weekend.

Big News in Zozerville: in between all the class crap we did this weekend, we also took the front off Zozer's crib, thereby making it her Big Girl Bed. She is thrilled beyond belief. Climbed in and out a few times, sometimes with Hoot, sometimes Hootless. After her bedtime, we went to work (again) on school, wondering if she'd be out to visit at all given her newfound freedom. Nope. She stayed put all night, bless her little footy pajama'd heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home