Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I likes to learn real smart stuff

Before I began my graduate studies, I thought that having an undergrad degree was proof enough that one was ready to tackle higher education.

I was wrong.

Turns out that schools should adminster a basic "stupid test," or maybe just a basic literacy test, for people before they start grad school. So they don't waste the time of people like us on discussion boards, when part of our grade centers around responding to these idiots with well-thought-out, reasoned and logical posts.

Hell, half the time I can't even understand what they're trying to say, much less respond to them. For instance, here's a gem just posted on our marketing boards this evening:

EBay researches customers needs and wants and designing a product that satisfies them using their Voice of the customer programs brings in a dozen buyers and sellers every month to question about how they work and what else eBay could do to improve it.

Okay, really?

And in the same post, this piece of intellect:

They established trust with customers by Establishing the Trust & Safety Department to look for suspicious activities.

I'm pretty sure that was written by the Redundancy Department of Redundancy, perhaps even by the Redundant Director of Redundancy herself.

And I won't even get into how many people read the case study in the book that references Meg Whitman being the CEO and wrote that eBay's continued success is due in no small measure to Whitman remaining a strong leader at the company. This factoid obviously dates the book since Whitman resigned in March 2008. And do you know how I know she resigned last year? Because she was a freakin' national co-chair for John McCain's campaign and was all over the freakin' news. Before that she was Mitt Romney's finance chair (and, you got it, was all over the freakin' news). It was pretty easy to see who she was, too, since every time she was interviewed her title was printed right there on the screen, "Meg Whitman, former eBay CEO."

Anyway, our grade for this portion requires us to post, and to respond to at least 3 other posts each week. It's fun to dump a ton of energy and thought into my own post, only to have four morons log in moments later and write, "Good post!" "Great job!" "Interesting stuff!" Pretty sure that's not the point of the on-line discussion board, and not what the instructor meant by "create an on-line discussion around the week's subject matter." "Great job!" does not a discussion make.

I have to go back now, and try to find a couple posts to which I can respond. "Good post!" is looking better and better.

Ed. note: Not all the students in our class are this bad. I'm just picking on the one or two that really make me shake my head over and over. By and large there are pretty good people on the boards...they're just not as much fun to write about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home