Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Rejected!

My third visit to the ortho in six days confirms that something is indeed wrong, as I suspected. It's kinda cool, actually, in a grisly sort of way. Apparently I'm rejecting an internal suture. Cool, huh? Except that now a little bit of infection is starting, so we're nipping that in the bud. I got to visit Walgreens this morning and walked out with a mini-pharmacy in my shopping bag: antibiotic pills, antibiotic cream, hydrogen peroxide and a heat pack.

Apparently the heat will help the renegade suture work its way to the surface, where, after it's out enough, I get to pull it out the rest of the way. That part totally grossed out M on the phone this morning (he's still in Atlanta), which was really fun. I think part of it had to do with the fact that he's hung over, having collaborated with his (male) coworkers to throw a "bachelorette party" for one of their (female) colleagues.

The great news is that the wraps are all off. No more ace bandage, no more brace, no more nuthin'. Just a little ol' Band-Aid. Which, after weeks of being wrapped to high heaven, feels weird and awesome at the same time. Typing is much easier, and I'm working my way back up to my normal speed of a gajillion words/minute.

You know the best thing about this whole surgery thing? I mean beyond the "no more pain" stuff and getting my grip back and all that. The coolest thing is that I'm gonna have a wicked scar to show off. It's s-shaped. Serpentine, I'm calling it. Because, you know, I have to use a big fancy word instead of something normal. My other scars are pretty cool, though, too. One from a car accident (thigh) and the Zozer c-section scar (that only one person gets to see). That's about it.

You know who has great scars? M. M has awesome scars. My favorite is the one just below his eyebrow, earned when he was a child and fell off the toilet while watching his mom get ready to go to a funeral. Then he's got the little notch on his forehead from running himself into a piece of plywood at our first house, the incisions for his appendectomy and his shoulder surgery, and the remnants of various cuts and burns on his arms and legs. The boy's body tells a story, that's for sure.

So, that's about it for me. M comes home tonight (yippee!) and I'm returning to normal (whatever that is). Finance continues to kick our collective ass this term. Work is good, home is good, and Zozer rocks. I have a bunch of stories I need to post here, as she's coming up with new material nearly every day now.

Here's a tidbit:
The other day while M was dressing her and all I could do was watch, I realized yet again that I'm simply mesmerized by her. So I said to M, "She just blows me away, you know?" Zoe solemnly said, "I blow Mommy away." Then she looked at me quizzically and asked, "Mommy, when I blow you away, where do you go?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home