Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I like candy. But not that much.

Took my "smoke break" at work this afternoon and walked over to Walgreens. Had a hankering for some Skittles based on an office conversation. I don't eat a lot of candy, so when I have a hankering, I indulge. Besides, it's a little bag of Skittles.

So I walked (gimped, actually, due to yesterday's run) to Walgreens and went and stood in the mecca they call The Candy Aisle. You know, just in case something else sounded better. Frankly, I was disappointed by their selection. There were 400 types of M&Ms, but no chewy Sprees. No regular Sprees for that matter. Are Sprees discontinued? Because that would be a shame. The once every four years I want Sprees, I'd like them to be readily available.

Since nothing else jumped out as being better than the original hankering, I picked up a bag of Skittles. 2.17 ounces of pure sugary delight for 72 cents, with tax. Cool.

Then, down the aisle, I spotted the "bigger bags o' candy" section. Huh. Wonder if it would be more cost-effective to get the larger bag. This reasoning is be due to the extensive training I've undergone at the hands of M, who will purchase a 4-gallon drum of jalapenos if it's more cost-effective (nevermind that we end up throwing half of them away after the giant container has taken up half a shelf in our fridge for six months).

So I checked out the larger bag and was trying to do some math in my head to compare cost per ounce (damn you, M!) when my eyes rolled up and to the right (where they normally go when I'm trying to process complicated math issues in my brain) and landed on the GIANT bag of Skittles.

41 ounces of Skittles for five bucks. In one giant zip-lock (recloseable!) bag.

I wavered for a nanosecond before realizing that I was insane to consider committing myself to eat over two and a half pounds of sugar because the CPS (cost per Skittle) was lower than the small bag I had in my hand.

I know most people don't fight daily battles like this, but I do, and am quite pleased that I have triumphed over the super-size more-is-better giant-size mega-everything tendencies of American consumers.

It's the little things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home