Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Another hat!

167.5 hours until I get the boot off!

Not that I'm counting or anything.

Actually, in the grand scheme of things it hasn't been too bad. I'm bummed about not running, but maybe given all that I've had going on the past month (plus), it wasn't in the cards for me to get up even earlier and go run. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway.

I'm anxious to see what physical therapy entails, and how quickly I can get back on the treadmill.

Attended a board meeting last night for a group called IAS, or Infertility and Adoption Support. As many of you know, this is a cause incredibly close to my heart. When you start to struggle with something like infertility, you feel like you're the only person in the world who has this issue. Every other woman is either pregnant or has just given birth, or complains about how fertile she is. Then, you find resources like IAS, and you learn things like one in five couples in the United States is dealing with infertility. One in five. That's huge. It means that there's a very real chance that if you haven't coped with it yourself, you know someone who has.

Not that people go around shouting from the rooftops about it. It's just out there, latent. Women (and men) struggling with incredible amounts of emotional pain.

Which is where a group like IAS comes in. They provide resources and support for women (couples) who are dealing with infertility and adoption. The group of women I met last night are all fantastic, and completely committed to the cause of helping others. They inspire me to work alongside them in the quest for outreach about infertility.

So, I'm their newest volunteer, and have been appointed to their recently-created Professional Advisory Board, which is very cool. I'm also giving our Oasis Room at the spa to host the monthly board meetings.

Volunteering is about the most wonderful thing in the world to do. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. It works best when it's a cause close to you, something maybe you've had personal experience with. But it could just be something that's downright cool, like the American Red Cross. Go on a ride-along with the Disaster Action Team some time. If you respond to a single or multi-family house fire and see first-hand the difference you can make in someone's life during a time of incredible stress and loss, you'll be hooked for life. I know I am. Red Cross can call me anytime, and if I can wedge it into my already-jammed schedule, I'm there.

I'm still waiting for the YWCA's Circle of Women committee work to kick off, to help victims (no, survivors) of abuse and rape. The woman who heads that program is even busier than I am, so she's a bit delayed in pulling together this core team to work on outreach. Hey, I know from busy, so she can take all the time she needs to get it rolling...I'll be here when she's ready.

So, along with the whole wife, mother, sister, aunt, niece, cousin, daughter and friend thing, plus worker bee and graduate student, I'll wear my volunteer hat. No one can ever say my life isn't full.

And what's not to love about that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home