Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The bright side of a dark day

I subscribe to several different e-newsletters from marketing sources, motivational speakers, etc. One I received this morning had this quote: "I'm smiling because you've finally driven me insane." I think that's hilarious.

Last night we had the A/C man come over to check our system. It just didn't seem to be running very efficiently and we wanted to have a professional look it over. I think we'd have been better just letting it lumber through the rest of the summer. In attempting to create a hole through which to place a thermometer, the A/C man punctured the coil. Which, I learned, contains lovely things like freon and oil, all under a great deal of pressure. Which means that it comes howling out through the hole, filling the storage room and a good part of the finished area with a strange, eerie mist.

Of course, since it was now after 6 p.m. all the A/C coil-selling places were closed, so the A/C man promised to return first thing in the morning and left us in our now air conditionless house. Zozo spent the night at her grandparents', but we toughed it out with three fans. It wasn't that bad, really, but an annoyance nonetheless.

It hadn't been a great day all in all, and this was the icing on the cake. M and I tried to look on the bright side of things, as we usually do, and then I realized that I'm damn sick of looking for the bright side. I want there to be just one side, that being bright, and so therefore I don't have to look for it. It's just there. Right in front of me. No other sides.

Because trying to find the bright side of losing your air conditioner to human error on a day the temperature hits 101 degrees (and on the eve of the 104 degree day) is tough. There isn't much of a bright side to that. The bright side is that I don't have to go up to The Lodge to use the steam room? The bright side is that my skin is receiving all the benefits of a high humidity environment? The bright side is that we've replaced many of our lightbulbs with cool-burning CFLs, and so don't need to make it any more of an oven in here than it already is?

Yeah, those are some pretty weak ass bright sides. Hey, at least I'm trying!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home