Thursday, June 14, 2007

Wake up and smell the coffee

I am disappointed today, disappointed in myself.

Because I am too naive.

I continue to expect people to act as they ought. I expect people to show common courtesy, and to treat others as they would like to be treated. I expect people to not gossip and to always strive to do what's best (and not just what's best for themselves alone). I expect people to give others the benefit of the doubt, and to not cast judgement so easily when they themselves are so flawed in their own ways.

In this, I am supremely stupid, because I continue to expect this, and continue to be surprised when it doesn't happen.

And it will never happen, because people are human, and will continue to fail and continue to fall short and continue to disappoint. Hell, I disappoint myself when I succumb to these baser instincts. But I, at least, strive on a daily basis to overcome my downfalls. I see some people who not only don't work to better themselves, but don't even recognize that there is room for improvement to begin with.

Bah. Just having a rough day. And no, this isn't aimed at any one person in particular, so those of you out there who internalize every damn thing I write, it ain't about you. It's about me.

This morning, I'm listening to Ronald Reagan's speech at the Berlin Wall, Brandenburg Gate from June 12, 1987. "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall." Powerful stuff.

I'm all about founding fathers and presidents these days. We just received our copies of the Declaration of Independence and The United States Constitution. I'm going out of order and reading the Constitution first. Good stuff, Maynard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home