Monday, January 15, 2007

Powerless. Again.

Ahhhh, yet another electricity-less weekend has come and gone. Those whole-house generators are looking better and better with each passing day.

Lost power at 6:30 a.m. Saturday. Called Bridal Beano at 8, and Mama at 8:02. Within a short time Plan B was revised to keeping the shower on that day, but moving it to Mom's. I have to give tons of props to Mom, Papa and GG for their on-the-fly hosting of a bridal shower with six hours' notice. Don't know that I could have pulled that off! The b'maids were fantastic in their regrouping, and the shower was a success. Bridal Beano and Groomtay received loads of wonderful gifts and everyone had fun. Well, I think they had fun. There was lots of laughter and merriment, so that's what I'm going to assume.

Regained power sometime in the afternoon, discovered when I called home and got our oh-so-personal mechanized answering machine voice. I think I actually jumped up and down when I got it. The mechanical voice actually sounded warm and inviting to me. What he said was, "Hello. Please leave a message after the tone." but what he meant was, "You SO totally have power now! Come on home!" We packed ourselves up, including Zozo and all her toddler necessities, and headed for home that evening.

It felt so good to sleep in our own home, in our own bed, and I mentally thanked the elves at Ameren for taking care of us so quickly.

Unfortunately, the elves took a smoke break at 11:30 p.m. and we went out again. Been out ever since. We stayed in bed as the house was still quite warm, but by morning the temperature was starting to drop. Finally, around 6, M went and retrieved The Bug from her bed and brought her in with us. We're not sure if she was still half asleep or just shocked at being with us under the covers, but she laid there, very still, and just sort of zoned. We all snoozed a bit, then M booted me out to repack while he snuggled with Zozo. They were so sweet, all cuddled up. I'd have taken a picture if my fingers weren't frostbitten.

Hung out at Mom's all day, then spent the night there last night. Tons of thanks to Mom, Papa and GG for hosting us, yet again. There aren't many people who will take in two adults and a toddler on short notice, much less do it with a smile. We appreciate your gracious hosting!

This morning we awoke early, and this time I got to stay under the covers while M loaded the car in the freezing cold. We're equal opportunity misery-inflicters, we are. After the car was loaded and warm, we got Zozo up, dressed her in her mittens, coat and hat, and loaded her in. As we drove from Mom's to Grandma Frank's to drop off Zozo, I realized I feel like an itinerant. I have an impulse to re-read "The Grapes of Wrath" or "On the Road."

This is the third time in six months that we've been forced to leave our home and stay with others due to a power outage. You'd think I'd get used to this, and be able to handle it with grace and a positive spirit. Nope. I'm pretty much spittin' mad, and ready to smite someone all over again.

This time, though, I learned from the past. This time, in that brief window of electrified bliss Saturday night, I ran around like a chicken with its head cut off. Dishes in the sink where crammed into the already-packed dishwasher and run through a cycle. What was left was washed by hand, dried and put away. The kitchen counters were cleared off. Clothes were put away. Toys were stashed. Basically, I got us ready to go again, should the need arise, which it did an hour after I went to bed.

I feel much better when I can leave my house in good order, and not total disarray. Although M and I put it in disarray all over again this morning with our insistence upon taking showers in our own home. The bed is covered with the guts of our suitcase...we made it as easy as possible to quickly dress and get out of there. My shower was fantastic, mind you. It was forcing myself to turn off the water and step out into my 56-degree home that sucked. Brrrrrr!

Hung a hand mirror from a knob on my inside shutters, then stood by the window to apply my makeup this morning. I probably look like Bozo the Clown for all I know, but I figure I get an A for effort. Dried my hair once I got here, so I know that's lookin' pretty scary, but again, I tried.

Slow day today, as many folks are still without power and it's MLK Day. Assignment for today: Listen to U2's "Pride (In the Name of Love)" and/or find a copy of the "I Have a Dream" speech on the internet and re/re-read it. Life-changing, powerful stuff.

Everyone stay warm! And go home and hug your furnace tonight, those of you who are lucky enough to have working ones.


Post a Comment

<< Home