Monday, August 07, 2006

When in doubt, unplug it

Some mornings, it just doesn't behoove you to get out of bed. Like this morning, for instance.

I woke up, on my own, at 5:55. Which is five whole minutes before the alarm is supposed to go off. Damn bladder...robbed me of five extra minutes of slumber. What was weird was I woke up in a total state of confusion: is it Saturday? Sunday? What day of the week is it? What the hell am I supposed to wake up and do? Took me a bit to figure it out before groaning, "Oh yeah. It's Monday."

After getting ready for work, we went out to discover we hadn't quite closed the freezer door all the way last night. It was still pretty chilly, but some ice had melted and we're pretty sure everything's gonna be frozen together in big blocks now. Cleaned it up and waited for the compressor to kick on. Nothing. We waited some more. Nothing. %$#@&. If we went through that 8-day power outage and now the freezer kicks the bucket and we have to buy a whole new fridge and new food... Let's just say neither of us was in a good mood at that point. I would like to mention here that I gently suggested, "Let's unplug it and plug it back in." To which my loving husband snapped, "No, Aim. We're not going to do that." He has his reasons, and I've learned when he's in a sour mood, talk to him as little as humanly possible.

Zozo and I got ready to head downstairs to get the fridge manual to see if we could trouble-shoot it while M pulled it out from the wall. We were just opening the basement door when I heard the compressor finally kick on. M said, "It was unplugged!" I asked how that was possible because the lights were on in the fridge and freezer, and if it was unplugged they wouldn't have been on. He scowled a bit and finally admitted that it looked like it was a little unplugged, so he pulled it all the way out and plugged it back in to the outlet on the bottom. Uh huh. I so wanted to do my little happy dance and yell, "I told ya so! I told ya so!" but I didn't. Now, though, I'm totally cracking up laughing at his feeble attempt to not admit that I was right in the first place.

As we were walking out the door to go to work, I did mention to him that it appears that I was right in my suggestion to unplug and replug the fridge, and his reply was, "They tell you to never unplug a refrigerator." To which I responded, smugly of course, "Well, what's it going to hurt if the damn thing isn't running anyway?" He had no answer. Score two for The Aimster.

Maybe it's not such a bad morning after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home