Sunday, June 18, 2006

Dads Rock! (My Father's Day Tribute)

Today is Father's Day, and I'm one of those incredibly lucky people to be surrounded by fantastic fathers. The fathers in my life defy the odds of how many cool fathers can exist in one person's sphere. I can't speak highly enough of them, so I'll just try to pick out a few things that make each one special to me.

For Michael, the father of my child: You are incredible and amazing, and every day you continue to surprise me with the depth of your love for your daughter. She doesn't know it yet, but she's so blessed that you are her Daddy. She'll realize it someday, I'll make sure of that, although I'm pretty sure she's inherited your brilliance and will figure it out on her own. I've read stories of men freaking out when they become fathers, but you didn't. You took it in stride, and I must say that fatherhood fits you like a glove. I'm looking forward to spending the rest of my life parenting with you, and I love you now more than ever simply because of the father you are to Zoe.

For Daddy, also known now as "Papa": I owe much of who I am today to you, and I thank you for everything you taught me and the love you continue to show me. From the basics of learning to tie my shoes and ride my bike, to the biggies of integrity, honesty, and standing up for what I believe, you have been there to guide me and to show by example how to be a good person. Oh yeah, and don't forget the rules of newspaper games: you must always use a pen to do the New York Times Crossword Puzzle, and that there are certain tricks that guarantee solving the Cryptoquip every time. Elephant Rocks, Paul Muny, Madagascar Monkey Mucus Membranes, Breakfast Club, and watching Mir cross the night sky in the wee hours of the morning (just the two of us, and then spending hours talking about the awesomeness of space) are just a few of the wonderful memories I have from my childhood with you. ee-ya-eee!

For my Dad, my "support system": I can't even begin to thank you for the amazing love and support you've shown me over the years. You were always there when I just needed someone to talk to (even while under the influence of alcohol!). Your door was always open to me, and I always knew I could turn to you for help. I'll never forget doing somersaults over the rollbars of your Jeeps, or warning you about the cop that pulled up next to us (with his window down, no less!), or getting to sleep all night with the stereo on, or learning that Dr. Pepper is indeed the nectar of the gods. And I love how the teetsy flies you amused me with as a child now make your granddaughter laugh. Your support has only increased during my adult life, helping me first with books and tuition at school, and untimely car repairs, then working by my side to help us renovate our home. I love you so much, and I hope you know you'll always be tops on my SCMODS list.

For Dad Z, my father-in-law: As I've gotten to know you better and better over the last 13+ years, my love and respect for you has only grown. The love and concern you show for your family is awe inspiring. I have learned from you to cherish each and every day on this earth, and to love family, friends, neighbors, acquaintances and even total strangers without bounds or inhibitions. Well, except for Mr. D. We don't love him at all. But you know what I mean. I never knew what "the sparkle in his/her eyes" meant until I met you, but I see it all the time in yours and I think it's the coolest thing. Even if I never had the chance to meet you, I would be able to tell that you're a great father, because I could look at your two sons and see you in them. They are great men because of you, and the role you played in raising them. I am forever indebted to you for giving me your son as my wonderful husband.

So, here's to the dads in my life on Father's Day. You all are my heroes and I love you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home