Saturday, August 17, 2013

40. and Yoko Ono.

230:365

I turned 40 today. And I embraced it because really, what choice do I have? It's gonna happen either way. Might as well make the most of it. And celebrating is always more fun than moping.

I earned my 40 years. All of 'em. They made me who I am today, and I'm okay with who I am. I'm happy.

I thought about the last decade. I struggled when I turned 30. Had a hard time with the thought of growing older. "Thirty is respectable, thirty is good," someone told me. I didn't believe her.

But in the last decade, so much has happened.

I lost jobs, left jobs, found jobs.

I experienced the incredible pain of infertility.

And the miraculous joy of having a child.

I buried people I love.

I welcomed new people into my family through marriage and birth.

I lost weight.

I gained weight. (This repeats ad nauseum)

I went back to school and earned a Masters.

While working full time and raising a child.

I watched part of my family fracture and come together again (most of us), stronger in the broken parts.

I learned my home was so damaged we'd have to tear it down.

And then we tore it down.

We built a new home.

I made new friends. Many.

I learned to jump off cliffs by trying new things and being open to new experiences.

I learned how to snowshoe.

And make stained glass.

And that I could complete a sprint triathlon.

I rode my bike on a 4-lane highway.

I went on many, many trips. By plane, by car, by train.

I learned that I love sushi.

And that I can cook. Really.

I became a Girl Scout leader.

I sang "Livin' on a Prayer" as loud as I could.

I ordered a Corvette. Then took delivery at NCM.

I creamed my husband at Wii fencing, which, it turns out, is the only video game at which I excel.

I started a blog.

I photographed. Oh, how I photographed.


Today, as part of my birthday, we went to the art museum. I wanted to see the new, modern wing that recently opened, and there were Man Ray and Laszlo Moholy-Nagy prints on display.

The best part, though, was Yoko Ono's Wish Trees. Three trees on the south terrace, with bins nearby containing tags and pens. Each visitor is encouraged to write a wish on a tag and tie it to a tree. Hundreds of wishes fluttered in the wind. The museum regularly cuts the wishes down and deposits them into a large, acrylic container just inside the door. Yoko then collects them and puts them in her Imagine Tower, in Iceland.

Millions of wishes from around the world. Can you imagine?

We wrote our three wishes down and tied them to the trees. And I realized that no matter who we are, we all have wishes. Like belly buttons.

Tonight, my friends and family surprised me by celebrating my birthday together. There were a few people missing, but they were with us in spirit. It turns out my adorable and sweet husband has been hard at work planning this surprise, and many loved ones pulled together to pull it off.

It's enough to make a girl realize just how blessed she is.

Zozer started second grade today. After school (11:30 dismissal) the students were treated to music and the Bubble Bus and ice cream sandwiches. We parents caught up and swatted bubbles off each other. It was wonderful.

Today was the best 40th birthday. It was more than I could ever wish for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home