Wednesday, June 27, 2012

reuse & recycle

179:365

Two men spent much of the day stripping my old house of anything usable. What they don't want they're taking to Habitat for Humanity. A third showed up later and pulled all the copper.

I am so grateful for this little team of pre-demo workers. With their help, less of this old place will end up in a landfill. And lots of people will benefit. This makes me happy.

Much gratitude and love to Dad, Jimbo, and Rob. You guys rock!

The property looks truly like a construction site now. It hardly resembles our home. This is both positive and disheartening. For all its faults, it was our home for 12 years. It was my sanctuary during the years of infertility. It was where we brought our newborn daughter home. It was where we toiled through grad school, and where we hosted great holiday parties and started the wonderful tradition of The Grand Lighting Celebration. It was home.

I know we will make tons of great memories in our new home, and I'm so excited for it to be built I can hardly stand it. After work tonight I was standing in the family room surveying what's left. I looked out the front window and saw a truck with my contractor's name. Which meant he was there! I ran out and sure enough, there stood Joe talking to his excavator, our architect's plans spread out on the trunk of one of the felled pin oaks. I hugged him. It felt real then. We're actually doing this.

What a fantastic ride!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home