Monday, June 18, 2012

blissful exhaustion

170:365

Week 2 is going much like Week 1. I continue to be happy just to be at my place of employment. There is something special about that place. I am not what I would consider an overly spiritual person, but I'm telling you, that place is blessed.

Don't get me wrong. I've already met a few kooks, been warned about more, and can identify two people right off the bat that should probably be made available to industry. But by and large they are harmless souls who are drifting through life and just happened to get moored on this particular island. Every organization has 'em, and I'd probably be suspicious if this one didn't.

However.

I work for a highly intelligent, kind, gentle man who makes time for me and cares about my well-being. He reports to an equally wonderful person. The place is chock-full of people who stop by my office each day to say hello, ask how I'm doing and if I need anything, and reiterate that they are glad I'm there.

I have more and more projects thrown at me each day, along with a wealth of information. I'm using my brain, and my creativity, and people are listening. The history of the place is fascinating, rife with stories of three English monks struggling to adapt to America and humorous attempts at acclimating. A current of goodness - people with the very best intentions striving to make the world a better place - runs under it all.

I've been away from this kind of mission for over seven years now. I'm proud of the work I did over those seven years, and how I was able to contribute to those businesses. But it sure feels good to be back in a non-profit setting.

And it feels good to end every night like this. Tired to the point of collapse, and completely happy and content with what I'm doing each day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home