Tuesday, June 26, 2012

splintered

178:365

I had a good laugh at work this afternoon.

Way back in the day, when I was a student at The World's Finest School of Journalism, I learned standard copy editing marks. Things like if you underline a letter 3 times it means to capitalize it. A carot shows to insert something. A pound sign (now commonly called a hashtag by those young, tweeting whippersnappers) means space. Either add a space or remove an extra space depending on placement.

Every graphic designer worth her salt knows these marks. My favorite designer in the whole world (hi, Amy!) knows 'em.

Today I reviewed some forms required for our largest fundraiser of the year. I used most, if not all, of my favorite copy editing marks, including that cute little pound sign. When I handed the stack of papers to my employee, whose title is "graphic designer," I assumed she knows them. I told her to let me know if she had any questions regarding my edits. She smiled brightly and got right to work.

Three hours later she returned with the edited forms on her way out the door for the day. I set them aside and continued with the task at hand. When that was done I took a look at her work.

And I found pound signs liberally sprinkled throughout the pages.

Seriously? Does she honestly think that's how I communicate? Just drop some random symbols here and there...that'll shake things up.

Still can't figure out why she didn't question that. I get that she didn't go to The World's Finest School of Journalism, but I thought she had something beyond a certificate of achievement from Bob's Design School and Bait Shop.

Tomorrow we get to have a little discussion about copy editing symbols, and that it's okay for her to question something she doesn't understand instead of just doing it and thinking her supervisor is smoking weed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Amy G said...

I am cracking up here!!

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home