Monday, June 11, 2012

first day

163:365

"Listen carefully, my son, to the master's instructions, and attend to them with the ear of your heart."

Today was great! I don't think it could have gone any better, really. I am absolutely in love with the monks and the environment they have built. Peaceful, strong and, surprisingly, charming. It all feels like it fits me perfectly. I am content simply to be there.

Among a wealth of information, a long to-do list, and a huge project with tight deadlines (bring it!), I was given a stack of reading materials. The first I'm tackling is The Rule of St. Benedict in English, which is quite literally what the monks all live by. I've seen many of them toting around scruffy, dog-eared, well-worn (and revered) copies. Next up is a book on the founding of the abbey and the school, written by one of the three founding monks (the only one still living).

I returned from lunch today to find a lovely little vase of bright flowers from the alum who headed the search committee to find me. The card welcomed me to the family and wished me luck. I nearly cried on the spot. It was perched on the doorstep of the little cottage I'm working in until my permanent office is ready. They are cleaning it out, laying new carpet and painting, which is good since the room formerly housed Father Michael's birds. Yes, birds. Real live ones. Three parrots (one of whom is mean, or so I've been told) and a boatload of finches. These monks crack me up.

This is going to be really, really good for me, for my family, and I hope for my new employers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home