Thursday, December 01, 2011

Choosing to believe

Some days, when it seems like it's impossible for anything to go right, when it seems the odds are stacked against you, when it seems as though, despite your best efforts, things are still f*cked up...some days you just gotta believe that it will all work out just fine. Even when it seems logistically impossible.

That's what I'm choosing to believe these days. After a night spent tossing and turning in bed, cursing one person in particular and plotting some good old fashioned Internet-style revenge, I've come to the conclusion that thinking that way doesn't help anyone.  (Note, none of ya'all know this person of whom I write. In fact, I've never even met him. But he's negatively impacting my little family nonetheless. Can't go into great detail now...maybe next week.)

I liken it to the weather. People planning outdoor events and weddings and such seem to always freak out about the weather. I am pleased to say that I have never, ever gotten torqued about a weather prediction. Partly because a.) the weather clowns never get it right anyway, b.) where I live the weather can and usually does change rapidly, making any predictions futile, and c.) I can't do a damn thing about it. Mostly c. I mean, you can have a Plan B in place because of inclement weather, and that's always a good thing, but don't fret over it. Mother Nature is gonna have her way no matter how many times you check weather.com.

Same thing goes for the price of gas. I need gas to get through my everyday life (work, grocery shopping, etc.), and I can't do a damn thing about the price so I don't even pay attention. Folks get all worked up, and why? No one I know ever really changes their driving habits because of the price of gas. No one tells her boss, "I can't come in for a couple weeks until the price of gas goes back down." I find it interesting that when I bought my car in 1999 I could fill the tank for $18, whereas now it's just short of $50, but it doesn't really piss me off. It just is what it is.

So today, I'm applying my weather/gas principle to this one issue, this one thing that looms over what should be a pretty fantastic Saturday night. Since I can't control the man on whom something is depending, I'm just going to keep the faith that he'll come through. I'm holding on to the feeling that it will all work out. It has to.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home