Monday, December 06, 2010

Zoe tidbits

Last week, the mom of one of Zoe's classmates came in and taught the kids about Hanukkah. Which is very, very cool. I love that she is exposed to different religions and culture. (Her Catholic grade school will fix that right up in a hurry, won't it?!) After school that day, she ran to me when I came to pick her up in the gym. "Mommy! Are we celebrating Harmonica?" She was pretty upset when I explained to her that we don't, in fact, celebrate Harmonica because we are Catholic. So I said, "But we get Christmas instead!" She perked right up. Crisis averted.

Sunday morning, we were getting ready to go to Cousin Clare and Tony's bridal shower. Well, I was getting ready and Zoe was farting around on the bed. I was doing my hair in the bathroom when I heard my make-up brushes clink against the little juice glass in which they reside on the vanity. "Mommy! I'm putting on make-up!" "Okay, Doodlebug!" Five minutes later she showed up in the bathroom, holding the brush I use for bronzer. Uh oh. She grinned from ear to ear and looked like a little Oompa Loompa. A wet washcloth soon remedied the situation, but I think she was a bit confused as to why I gave a little yelp and then attacked her face with a washcloth.

She's been tormenting the cats lately. Well, Max specifically. She feels sorry for him. "He only has one friend, Mommy, and it's Tachi. I'll be his friend so he's not so lonely." Being his friend consists of camping right next to his little tent, his sanctuary, and talking/singing to him. It's a bonus when she brings her electronic keyboard and plays music for him. The damn thing is loud, but better Max get it than me, so I let it go. I check on them every once in awhile, and remind her to not stick her hand in the tent ("That's his house, honey, his safe place.") and to remove the speaker end of the keyboard from under his head. Can cats get migraines? Max deserves a special place in kitty heaven after what he's gone through in this life.

They're talking about feelings at school.  What they are, appropriate ways to handle them, etc.  Last week, they made "feeling snowflakes," which consist of a piece of paper with a feeling written on it (Angry, Happy, Sad, Scared) and little jagged pieces of paper taped to the edges with all the different situations where the children might have these feelings.  I read through them, and could spot Zoe's immediately even though they weren't labeled with names.  Under sad, Zoe's suggestion was, "When Mommy and Daddy won't give me dessert!"  But of course.  She's also happy when it rains and when she goes to the zoo, and is scared when it's really, really dark.  I read them all, searching for hers, and my heart broke when I read one child's note that he or she is scared "when daddy gets angry."  Holy shit.  That's some pretty heavy stuff there.

Zoe's been cooking for Hootie lately.  She likes to make him dinner. Tonight it was blue chocolate milk, made primarily with dish soap (the other ingredient being one, and only one, drop of water).  Poor Hootie.  Reminds me of when she used to make Mufroom Tea for Daddy.  One day last week, she had to cook up an ice pack for Hootie, as he had hurt his wing.  My mind drifted as her ingredient list ran longer and longer (it lasted most of the way home from the grocery store, and included much of what was riding in grocery bags in our trunk), but I remember that marshmallows were included, and carrots.  She was having such a good time that I didn't have the heart to tell her that ice packs consist of one ingredient only, and that she didn't even need to go to the store to buy it.

I've been teaching her how to use the iPhone.  She can play games and look at pictures/videos.  Last time M was out of town, she learned how to call him, by herself, from any screen.  That was born out of a desire for her to get help if needed (I kept having nightmares that something happened to me and she wasn't able to get help because she's so little).  This week, she learned to use the camera.  She had a blast making photographs.  My new Facebook profile photograph is one she took.  Not too shabby!  Here's one of Hoot that just cracks me up.  I'm not sure if it's his new Facebook profile pic.

Last night, she wanted to help me with laundry.  I fold everything as I pull it out of the dryer, so there we were, standing in the laundry room, folding.  She started with washcloths, then graduated to dish towels and face towels.  Halfway through, she pulled out a shirt.  She fussed with the sleeves for a bit, wadded it up, and threw it back in the dryer.  "I'm going to stick with the squares and rectangles."  Good thinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home