Wednesday, September 08, 2010

3 Do's

Zoe and I were snuggling on the couch tonight, discussing words. She really loves to talk about letters, words and numbers. We encourage that, naturally, so we spend a lot of time spelling things and adding things. Tonight, she wanted to know if there were any other words besides "NO" that have only two letters. I said, "Sure!" and then proceeded to start listing all that I could think of: in, on, an, of, up, at, am, to...

Then I said, "Do."

Zoe: "Oh, like morning dew?"
A: "No, like, 'I'm going to do something.'"
Zoe: "Well, how do you spell dew like morning dew?"
A: "D-E-W."
Zoe: "Oh."
pause
Zoe: "Then how do you spell bird doo?"
A: "D-O-O."

I have never, before tonight, considered that there are three spellings of the phonetic "do." I've known to, too, and two. But now I'm acutely aware of do, dew and doo.

I love that we have conversations that regularly go this way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home