Tuesday, September 07, 2010

An exercise in snoozing

The alarm went off too early this morning. And despite my exercise clothes laid out neatly and going to bed early last night and all the best intentions in the world, I could not get up.

It was dark.
I liked listening to M sleep next to me.
The house had that peaceful stillness that means everything is right with the world.
The bed was super-comfortable, and the sheets still smelled like fabric softener.

A few minutes later, M asked, "Aren't you going to work out?"

And instead of trying to explain all that, and the more likely excuse "I'm feeling lazy" to boot, I mumbled something about my head and then burrowed back under the covers.

It was worth it. The feeling of security and contentment and the luxury of laziness and sloth.

All too soon the cats started crying for breakfast and the recycling trucks started rumbling by outside and then his alarm went off and he got up, and I got up, and Zoe got up, and the day started.

But my 45 minutes of snooze this morning was wonderful. And not a bad way to start the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home